Friday, 24 October 2008

Greatest pre-going out song?


Last night I was still hungover from an epic Wednesday, but had already organised to go out again, with different friends, and was not about to bail. It was with some trepidation that I cracked open my first ale, and though it tasted beautiful, the urge to get hammered and go mental as usual was sadly lacking.

It was at around this time that some rather familar sounds begin to build and surge from upstairs, like a twisted Spaghetti Western. My housemate had Pendulum on again.

Propane Nightmares, from latest album In Silico, is possibly the most suitable song I have ever heard for these kind of times. Its swirling chemical buzz is like a magnet, a rocket up the arse of a flagging spirit and a flagging liver. I actually had to stop what I was doing (playing the acoustic guitar) and head up to bask in the hurtling freedom of those adrenaline-fuelled synths and Rob Swire's timeless, effortless vocals, calling soothingly from the heavens.
I was out until 5am, and full of energy throughout a glorious evening.

So I think PN could be the best pre-going out song in existence. But I wait with anticipation for something even better to prove me wrong.

1 comment:

Sam said...

As the person who introduced you to this song, I can only condone how brilliant it is. And also the way in which it cites Pendulums progress in this album, which is a cracker.